The Rio Chama flows through 35 miles of remote river wilderness below El Vado reservoir near Chama, New Mexico. The Chama has been protected as a Wild and Scenic River since 1988. The moderate Class II-III whitewater flows through an exquisite and pristine river environment distinguished by sage-covered hillsides, heavily-forested canyons, and red sandstone cliffs. A two or three day trip provides the leisurely pace to soak in the sun and solitude, explore side canyons or learn to paddle inflatable kayaks in the swift-moving but very reasonable rapids. These trips run from May to late August.. Special recreational water releases also make boating possible on weekends through August. Our launches are exclusive and guarantee a wilderness experience. Choose this southwestern jewel for a retreat with a small group of friends and family for a weekend of relaxation and fun.
- MINIMUM AGE: 8
- GROUP SIZE: 16
- CLASS: II and easy III rapids
- BOAT TYPE: Oar boats. Paddle boats and inflatable kayaks on request
- COST: 3 Day trip: Adult – $ 495, Youth 8-12 yrs. – $ 345. A $ 4.10 per person per day BLM Use Fee must be added to above rates. These rates apply to open dates only. See trip page for details for the Music trip.
- 2013 LAUNCH DATES:
- May 8 and May 10
- May 25-27, Memorial Day Music trip with Chuck Pyle
- July 12-14
- August 9-11
- August 23-25
- These open launch dates may be a 2 or 3 day trip for your group. Other dates may be available for groups of 10+.
Click here to make a reservation.